Annette and I extend our deepest sympathy to everyone affected by yesterday’s mass shooting at the Pulse LGBTQ nightclub in Orlando, Florida. We are heartbroken, sad, bewildered, and, yes, even angry over the slaughter of so many people due to bigotry.
As I write this, the details of what happened are still coming out. It is too early to come to any firm conclusions other than that this was a terrible act of violence and a terrible tragedy.
However, the initial indications are that the shooter was motivated primarily by bigotry and a violent character, which seems to have become mixed up in his mind with various Islamic extremist groups. If you feel spurred to act in response to this mass shooting, please join us today by showing kindness and love to your neighbor, especially any who are gay or Muslim.
We will not attempt to write any analysis or response to this tragedy so soon after it happened. However, we offer these previously posted articles for people who may be seeking some perspective on this horrific event:
- Homosexuality, the Bible, and Christianity
- Islam, Christianity, or No Religion at All?
- Does God Send Terror Attacks because of Bathroom Rights and Evolution?
- Strip Search Prank Calls, Domestic Violence: Evil Loves Deception
- What if the Quran were the Bible?
- Heaven, Regeneration, and the Meaning of Life on Earth