Spiritual Insights Volume 1: God and Creation, by Lee Woofenden

Volume 1 of articles reprinted from Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life is now available in paperback and Kindle formats:

This hefty 507 page tome offers a selection of 53 articles organized into three parts:

• Part 1: Who is God?
  • Part 2: Who God Isn’t
  • Part 3: Creation

Part 1 presents the beautiful and satisfying teachings of the Bible and Emanuel Swedenborg on the loving, wise, and powerful nature of God.

Part 2 explains exactly why traditional Christian beliefs about God, such as the Trinity of Persons, are unbiblical and false.

Part 3 offers much light on how and why God created the universe, and how God governs everything in the universe, including human society. It also tackles the thorny issue of why, if God is all-loving and all-powerful, there is so much evil, pain, and suffering in the world.

To preview or purchase the paperback edition on Amazon, click here.

To preview or purchase the Kindle edition on Amazon, click here.

Enjoy!

Volumes in this series:

1. God and Creation
  2. The Bible and its Stories
  3. Spiritual Rebirth (not yet published)
  4. The Afterlife (not yet published)
  5. Sex, Marriage, and Relationships (not yet published)

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in All About God, Books and Literature
8 comments on “Spiritual Insights Volume 1: God and Creation, by Lee Woofenden
  1. this is tempting. Rather than burning my eyes trolling your blog I can just read all the good stuff in book format.

I have a question: How hard was it for you to get published? Is it the sort of thing these days where you just sign up to amazon and they take care of everything? Or did you have to wrangle with editors and publishers and find a printing deal?

Hi The Iron Knuckle,

Yes. And the articles are all organized for you in an orderly sequence, unlike on the blog.

One day I did a little math and discovered that if I put all of the articles I’ve written for this blog into book form, it would amount to fifteen or twenty average-sized books. (This does not include the comment sections, which would probably swell it to forty or fifty books.) However, these volumes so far are rather fat, so it won’t turn out to be that many books. Plus I’m not going publish all of the time-specific and dated material on the blog. Only the articles that are timeless. 🙂 As of now I’m planning for a five-volume set. For me, it’s another format to help in spreading the good news. Plus, there’s more permanence in print publishing than in web-based publishing, and the books can be put into library collections and so on.

I am self-publishing these volumes through Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) service. There is no charge to publish a book in paperback and/or Kindle format on KDP. Amazon makes its money by selling the books and taking its cut. This also means you don’t have to stock, sell, and ship the books yourself. Amazon takes care of all that. The paperbacks are published by Print On Demand, so there is no “stock” of books. The POD machinery just prints a copy whenever someone places an order for a particular book. Sure beats having a garage full of unsalable books that you had to pay for up front!

However, you do have to have print-ready copy. I am an editor, I have a fair amount of experience in book and page design, and I have the necessary software, so I do the layout myself. (I’m not as good at doing the Kindle versions.) If you’re not able to do that yourself, you’d likely have to hire someone to do it for you, which could run into some $$$.

The other downside of self-publishing is that no one is going to market your book for you. If you want people to buy it, you’ll have to do your own marketing. So don’t expect to become a bestselling author via self-publishing. It occasionally happens for authors who manage to catch a wave or hit a nerve, but it’s rare.

2. Brian Lauthen says:

Hi Lee,

I was just wondering if you have a relative timeline for books 3-5. I’m currently working through book 1 and even as a long time Swedenborgian I am learning a lot!

The article about how the Wrath of God is actually the Love of God blew my mind! So now when I read in the bible about God being “angry” or the wrath of God I just swap in how it’s actually God’s love coming closer to us and the evil and selfishness inside of us feels like it’s God’s anger because it doesn’t like being exposed for what it is by God’s love. I never thought of it like that. It also reminds me of the situation when a young child is about to touch a hot stove. The parent yells “No”! The parent is saying that out of love for the child not getting hurt, but the child hears it as the parent being angry because they don’t understand the consequences of touching a hot stove.

Thanks,
    -Brian Lauthen

Hi Brian,

Good example about the hot stove. It’s one that I’ve used from time to time as well. Glad you’re enjoying the books, and finding new ideas and inspiration in them.

I do not have a definite timeline for the remaining three volumes of reprinted articles. In recent months I’ve been diverted from the blog and the reprint volumes by some other publishing projects. And before I can publish volume 3, on Spiritual Rebirth, there are at least two more articles I want to write for inclusion in it: one on the meaning of salvation, and the other on the meaning of the Old Testament sacrifices in relation to the New Testament motif of Jesus as the sacrificial lamb.

However, I do hope to have all three remaining volumes in print within a year’s time. Thanks for asking. Knowing there are readers eagerly awaiting the rest of the books will put that project a notch higher on the priority list.

3. Doug Webber says:

Congratulations Lee on getting published! For epub kindle formats I use the Sigil editor, its free, but you have to know a bit about HTML and the internal format

Hi Doug,

Thanks! The books are actually self-published using Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Print On Demand (POD) service, which is free if you have print-ready PDFs and Kindle-ready files. Since I am able to do the typesetting, layout, and editing, KDP provides an easy, cost-free way of making the books available in paperback and Kindle formats. I may take a look at the Sigil editor. Currently I do not have a very elegant way of formatting the Kindle versions.

In addition to the four books I’ve written so far and the one I’ve translated, I have edited a number of Swedenborg-related books and gotten them back into print via KDP. For the full list, plus a few extras, please follow this link:

4. Samson says:

Merry Christmas, Lee.

I have been trying to find an article written by you on who God is and who Jesus is. But I am not able to find one.

If you don’t mind, could you please help me understand something that has been confusing me for the longest time ever?

My grandfather who is a Baptist member tells me that Jesus is not good but instead the son of God. He shows me various verses supporting his position, such as Jesus saying God is greater than he ( Jesus), and that Jesus prays to the Father.

However, other Christians claim that Jesus is God in the flesh, but my grandfather says there is no biblical support for such a claim. However, he believes only through the son we have eternal life.

I happen to lean more towards what gramdpa says because of verses like these:

“And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:17

It seems God, rather than Jesus, was speaking from the clouds when he got baptized. My brain comprehends this to be two separate “people”, and the person 1 who spoke from the cloud was introducing person 2 who got baptized.

After Jesus was rose from the dead, this was what he said:

“Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.” John 20:17

Again, my brain reads this to be that Jesus was going back to person 1 ( God the Father) as being person 2 ( the son of God)

For example: I tell my mother that I am going to Pastor Lee’s home.

Can you please explain why most Christians believe Jesus is God in the flesh? Like why do people believe God transformed into a human being and gave himself a new name “ Jesus”?

Thank you very much for reading. I hope I can come to a final conclusion on this matter, as this has been so programatic for me for years.

Hi Samson,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Here is the article you are looking for:

Who is God? Who is Jesus Christ? What about that Holy Spirit?

This is also the first article in the book God and Creation, highlighted in the above post. I would certainly recommend that you get yourself a copy if you want to understand the nature of God.

The Trinity is a complicated matter. That’s why so many people have so many different ideas about it.

First, people who think more materialistically than spiritually will tend to separate God into different “persons.” This is what happened in traditional Christianity starting just a few centuries after the life of Jesus. However, God is not a material being, but a divine being. Therefore when applied to God, words like “Father” and “Son” should not be taken literally, as if they refer to human fathers and sons that are distinct people, but rather should be seen as metaphors or symbols for different parts or aspects of God.

Second, during Jesus’ lifetime on earth, he was not fully God. Though he was conceived from the spirit of God, and therefore had an infinite divine side, he also had a finite human side from his human mother Mary. Therefore it would not have been correct for his followers to call him “God” during his earthly lifetime. However, during his lifetime on earth he progressively replaced the finite human part or nature that he had gotten from his mother with an infinite divine humanity that flowed from the “Father,” meaning the infinite divine being that was his own deeper self.

This is why, in the Gospels, Jesus never calls Mary “mother,” but rather “woman.” He did not recognize her as his mother, because ultimately, she no longer was his mother.

This is also why Jesus was never called “God” in the Gospels, until after his resurrection. Then Thomas did address him as “my Lord and my God,” and Jesus did not correct him, but chided him for his difficulty in believing this. By the time of Jesus’ resurrection, he was fully divine, meaning he was then simply God. There are a number of Gospel passages in which Jesus makes it clear that he is one with the Father, and that he is indeed God with us. Some of them are quoted in the articles I’m linking for you.

This second point is not something traditional Christianity has recognized or understood. That’s because once again, its view of the Trinity, and of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is materialistic, not spiritual.

Here are some articles that provide a fuller understanding:

You might also find this article helpful in understanding why God came to earth in human form as Jesus:

The Logic of Love: Why God became Jesus

I hope this explanation and these articles are helpful to you. If you have further questions as you read, please don’t hesitate to ask.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Swedenborg’s Garden of Theology
An Introduction to Emanuel Swedenborg’s Published Theological Works

By Jonathan S. Rose

(Click the cover image or title link to review or purchase on Amazon)

Join 1,131 other followers