What is the History and Importance of Bethel in the Bible?

Here is a spiritual conundrum posed by loganfields2:

Could you please explain to me in one of your posts the history of, and the importance of Bethel in the Bible! I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for the question, loganfields2.

The Old Testament town of Bethel (formerly named Luz) was one of the first places in the Bible where the Hebrew people met with God. The most famous of these encounters was Jacob’s dream of a stairway to heaven, with angels ascending and descending on it, and the Lord standing above it (Genesis 28:10–22).

Because this and several other early encounters with God happened at Bethel, it signifies our first beginnings of knowledge and understanding about God, heaven, and spiritual truth. And since this early knowledge of heavenly things comes in the first stages of our spiritual journey, when we are more earthly-minded than spiritual, Bethel represents a rather external and pragmatic sense of what God and spirit are all about.

One hint at this significance is that in the original Hebrew, Bethel means “house of God.” A house of God is an earthly, physical place (such as a church or temple) that is seen as the dwelling place of God. God cannot really be contained in a physical building or location (see 1 Kings 8:27), but we earth-bound humans often need something solid and physical to remind us of the presence of God, heaven, and spirit.

Before we dig deeper into the history and importance of Bethel, let’s get a visual on where it is located. Here is a map showing the position of Bethel in the Holy Land. It is west and a little north of Jericho, the first city that the Israelites conquered when they entered the Holy Land (Joshua 6). It is north of Jerusalem, which became the spiritual and political center of Israel.

Map showing the position of the Biblical town of Bethel in relation to Jericho and Jerusalem

Bethel in relation to Jericho and Jerusalem

(Map courtesy of www.israel-a-history-of.com)

Bethel: A place for the Hebrews’ early encounters with God

Bethel is mentioned in over sixty verses in the Bible, representing over thirty distinct stories and prophecies, all of them in the Old Testament. Of course, we can’t cover them all in this article. So here is a list of some of the most important events that took place in Bethel:

• Near Bethel, Abraham built one of the first altars mentioned in the Bible, and there he “invoked the name of the Lord.” (Genesis 12:8)
  • After Abraham had fled to Egypt to escape a famine in the Holy Land, he returned to the same place near Bethel, and once again invoked the name of the Lord. (Genesis 13:1–4)
  • When Jacob was fleeing from the wrath of his brother Esau, he stopped for the night at Bethel. That is where he first encountered God, in a dream in which he saw a stairway to heaven, with angels of God ascending and descending on it, and the Lord standing above it. (Genesis 28:10–22)
  • After Jacob’s return to the Holy Land, Bethel was the second place where he and his family settled. There he set up an altar to God, and God spoke to him. (Genesis 35:1–15)
  • ­Upon first entering the Holy Land, after conquering Jericho, Joshua and the Israelites next conquered Ai and Bethel. (Joshua 8:10–17; 12:7-9, 16)
  • Bethel was one of the first places in the Holy Land where the ark of the covenant of God was set up, and where the priests offered sacrifices and inquired of God. (Judges 20:18, 26–28; 21:2)
  • When the northern kingdom of Israel seceded from the southern kingdom of Judah, its first king, Jereboam, set up golden calves in Bethel and Dan. He had the people worship there instead of going to Jerusalem to worship at the Temple where the ark was. (1 Kings 12:25–33)
  • After Assyria conquered and exiled the northern kingdom of Israel, the king of Assyria sent one of the captured Israelite priests back to Bethel to teach the people from other nations who had been resettled in Israel how to worship “the god of the land.” However, they continued to worship their own gods as well. (2 Kings 17:24–41)
  • Because Bethel had become corrupted by the worship of idols and other gods, several of the prophets railed against it. See, for example, Jeremiah 48:13; Hosea 10:15; Amos 3:13–4:4; 5:1–6.

If we put together all of these key stories about Bethel, here is the picture that emerges:

Bethel served the ancient Hebrews as an early point of communication with God, and of entry into the Holy Land—even if not always the first. As the religious, cultural, and political life of the Israelites increasingly focused on Jerusalem, Bethel faded in significance. However, when the northern kingdom of Israel seceded, Bethel became one of two major centers of idol worship in the north. This corruption sealed its fate in the Bible story. By the time of Jesus’ birth, Bethel had completely faded away as a place of importance. It is not mentioned anywhere in the New Testament.

Bethel: Making a deal with God

Just as Bethel took on importance in the early history of the ancient Hebrews and of the Israelite nation as a point of connection with God and heaven, so it takes on a similar spiritual significance for us early in our spiritual growth.

And just as in the course of the Bible story Bethel faded away as a point of connection with God and heaven, so the type of connection with God represented by Bethel must fade away for us as we become more spiritually mature.

Jacob's Ladder: Original Artwork by Carolyn Judson, © 2005 by New Christian Era Ministries, used by permission

Jacob’s Ladder (copyrighted image)

To illustrate the character of the connection with God and heaven represented by Bethel, let’s look at just one brief vignette, from the famous story of “Jacob’s Ladder.” After Jacob had that amazing dream of a stairway to heaven with angels ascending and descending on it, and God standing above, he made this vow to God:

If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house; and of all that you give me I will surely give one-tenth to you. (Genesis 28:20–22)

Do you see what Jacob is doing here? He’s making a deal with God! In essence Jacob is saying to God, “If you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.”

At the time Jacob had his first encounter with God, his life was a mess. He had just royally infuriated both his older twin brother Esau and his elderly father by tricking his father into giving him the all-important blessing of the first-born. Esau was planning to kill him as soon as their father died. Only the intervention of his mother Rebekah saved him from that fate. But in order to avoid death, he had to flee his home and everything he was familiar with, and go to a distant land to live with relatives he had never met. (For more on this story, see the article “Dan Gheesling: Judas, Jesus, . . . or Jacob?”)

With his life in chaos, Jacob finally began his relationship with God.

Isn’t that how we often start in our relationship with God, too?

When life is good, who needs God?

But when our life is a mess, and things are looking bleak, then we might start thinking, “Maybe I need God in my life after all.”

What’s the first thing we do?

In effect, we say to God, “If you’ll straighten out my life for me and give me what I need to get through this mess, then you can be my God. I’ll worship you and devote my life to you.”

In other words, like Jacob, we make a deal with God.

From deal-making to unconditional love and service

As a start on our spiritual journey, making a deal with God is not such a bad thing. It’s a heckuva lot better than ignoring God completely!

But its sort of . . . conditional.

We’re saying to God, “I’ll believe in you and serve you, but only if you do the things I want you to do for me.”

That’s sort of like saying to your fiancé, “I’ll love you and commit my life to you, but only if you agree to provide half the household income, do the dishes, and mow the lawn.” What self-respecting person would agree to marry someone who said that?

Well . . . God does want to get a foot in the door of our life, so God actually will agree to a certain amount of deal-making early on in our spiritual journey. But that kind of quid pro quo attitude won’t carry us very far.

Sooner or later, we must turn our life over to God with no conditions or prerequisites. God will bless us in many ways we hadn’t even imagined! But exactly how God will bless us is up to God to decide. The things we want for ourselves may not be what’s best for us in the long run. God may not always give us what we want, but God will give us what is best for us.

When we are ready to commit ourselves to loving and serving God unconditionally, then, as with the ancient Israelites, the rather superficial, deal-making relationship with God represented by Bethel will gradually fade away from our life, having done its job of getting us started on the pathway toward God.

In addition to being a response to a spiritual conundrum submitted by a reader, this is one in a series of articles on the theme “The Bible Re-Viewed.” Each article takes a new look at a particular selection or story in the Bible, and explores how it relates to our lives today. For more on this spiritual way of interpreting the Bible, see “Can We Really Believe the Bible? Some Thoughts for Those who Wish they Could.”

See also: What is the Meaning and Significance of Gilgal in the Bible?

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in The Bible Re-Viewed
72 comments on “What is the History and Importance of Bethel in the Bible?
  1. loganfields2 says:

Thank you for answering so thoroughly. It was very insightful and interesting to learn about.

Hi loganfields2,

Thanks for your comment, and thanks again for the original question! I’m glad you enjoyed this response.

• Sam Foreman says:

Revisiting Gilgal to Bethel to Jericho, to recrossing Jordan to infinity and beyond, I was delighted to find your content, tone and style through a map search. A coincidence to those still i the wilderness, to me another small sign of God’s providence, proof of the truth of romans 2:28. You would have a similar piece on Jericho’s history and importance? Swedenborg has been granted a gifted translator, on loan as it were from God’s staff of gifted teachers and communicators.

• Uju Wealth Kaine says:

I’m really grateful for the time you took to explain the meaning of Bethel and its implications. Can I then say that Bethel is the beginning of a Christians experience and that one is expected to advance to and conquer Bethel, so as to enter a deeper and more selfless relationship with God?

• Pastor shivambu mb says:

Thanks pastor for explaining about bethel, I was wondering why God’s anger was upon Jeroboam when he erect golden calf at bethel holy place,place of transformation, house of God,thanks pastor may God keeps you

• Michael says:

As far as importance to our spiritual growth is concerned, I feel it is absolutely essential for every Christian to realize that this was a prophesy, a foreshadowing of the coming of Christ as the “house of God,” as God tabernacle (John 1:14). John 1:51 And He said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, You shall see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man. This is the fulfillment of Jacob’s dream (Gen. 28:11-22). Christ as the Son of Man, with His humanity, is the ladder set up on the earth and leading to heaven, keeping heaven open to earth and joining earth to heaven for the house of God, Bethel. Jacob poured oil (a symbol of the Holy Spirit, the ultimate expression of the Triune God reaching man) upon the stone (a symbol of the transformed man) that it might be the house of God. In the chapter of John are the Spirit (v. 32) and the stone (v. 42) for the house of God with Christ in His humanity. Where this is, there is an open heaven. This chapter, as the introduction to this Gospel, introduces Christ as both the Son of God (vv. 34, 49) and the Son of Man. Nathanael recognized Him as the Son of God and addressed Him as such (v. 49), but Christ said to Nathanael that He was the Son of Man. The Son of God is God; as such, He has the divine nature. The Son of Man is man; as such, He possesses the human nature. For the declaring of God (v. 18) and for the bringing of God to man, He is the only begotten Son of God. But for the building of God’s habitation on earth among men, He is the Son of Man. God’s building needs His humanity. In eternity past Christ was only God, only the Son of God, and had only divinity; but in eternity future Christ, as God and man and as the Son of God and the Son of Man, will have both divinity and humanity forever. God’s house is not a physical building and does not need such as a symbol. The symbols and signs are in the Old Testament. When Christ died and resurrected, He became the Spirit to guide us in to all the reality of the Father’s house which is built of Christ’s humanity multiplied and expanded through us by Christ’s divinity. In other words, the reality of Bethel is the human and divine incorporation of the Triune God with man. He is in us and we are in Him as a mutual dwelling place. The correct translation of John 14:2 is “In my Father’s house are many abodes…” We are the abodes and in the Father’s house. Christ is in us, the Father is in Christ which means the Father is in us, and we’re in the Father. Daily we must allow the Spirit to guide us into this reality. This is the ultimate goal of God’s heart and is the purpose of giving Jacob the dream of Bethel! Our God is wise and very consistent in the revelations that He gives us. The purpose of all of them is to lead into His house.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment.

I interpret the nature of God and the Trinity differently than you do (see Who is God? Who is Jesus Christ? What about that Holy Spirit?). I also interpret some of the symbolism of the story of Jacob’s dream at Bethel differently than you do.

However, I do see that story as a prophecy of Christ, along with the entire Old Testament (see Luke 24:27, 44; John 5:39). I do not see this as the only meaning of the Scriptures. They also have meaning relating to our own spiritual rebirth process. And of course, they have a meaning relating to the spiritual journey of humankind over the ages.

I also agree with you on the general progression of God (from our human, time-bound perspective) as first being divinity only, then divinity and humanity in Jesus Christ, and then being present with us as the Holy Spirit after Christ’s death, resurrection, and ascension to the Father. And I enjoyed your thoughts on the purpose of God’s revelations.

I am curious: does the viewpoint you express here represent the views of any particular Christian church, denomination, or of any particular Christian theologian, teacher, or pastor?

2. danavan says:

I liked ur explanation,have u ever looked at st.john1:51? When I researched it I ended up at Jacobs dream and I found something that he said interesting…..this must be the house of God…this must be the gate of heaven….i don’t think Jacob made an error here and I believe just as how bethel was termed as the house of God its the same today but only differently I may be wrong but I can’t help but feel Jesus was getting across some spiritual message to us on the power of the church it being the gate of heaven and it having the glory God over it.what do u think?

Hi danavan,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, John 1:51 does seem to be a fairly clear reference to the story of Jacob’s Ladder. Jesus was, of course, steeped in the Scriptures–which for him were what we call the Old Testament. In the course of his teaching and his life, he suffused those Scriptures with a higher meaning than had been generally perceived before.

I would say, however, that in Christianity, ultimately it is Christ himself who is the “house of God.” This, I think, is the message of “angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.” (John 1:51 – emphasis added).

While Christian churches can serve to introduce people to Christ and teach people about Christ, we now have a direct relationship with God in Jesus Christ. We no longer need to approach God through the human intermediaries of priests and churches.

That, anyway, is some of what I see in John 1:51 and its reference to the story of Jacob’s dream.

• Sam Foreman says:

I do not know, Danavan, if old links are revisited, as was Bethel by Abram and Jacob (and perhaps a few other worshippers over the years). But I have always thought the emphasis in Jesus’s words to [apparently] dreamy,eyed, philosophizing, Messiah-hoping Nathaniel was on the YOU. Not WHAT Nathaniel was going to see, but that HE TOO was going to have several eye-opening, mind-arresting, life-changing events besides that one under the fig tree, and this first personal encounter with the Master, the Messiah. Not to mention the ironic humor of those early evangelistic disciples excitedly telling
      family and friends, WE found HIM !!! So true: the words in stone over the entry to the church read “Whosover Will” And the words on the brass placard on the Lord’s Table read: You did not chose me; I chose you.” I think you are right, and I think Jesus gave them food for the journey when he spoke of the power of the church to the twelve, when he said, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Does the ‘it refer to “faith” or “church”. I suggest the answer is “Yes”, to both of them together.
      The church, the gate of heaven, juxtaposed against the gates of hell. Gates can only prevail if and when they are opened, and are not generally thought of an offensive weapon. Oh come to the Father through Jesus the Son, to God be the glory….
      Thank you Danavan. Your comments to Lee two years ago have sparked a message, sermon, that might be ready for delivery in a month or two.

3. Great explanation. It was very helpful to understand more about Bethel and its place in the Bible.

4. VERY USEFUL.GOD BLESS YOU.

5. logan.fields2 says:

So this old thing is still gettin’ read quite often huh?

6. Mark says:

would Bethel the place be consider a place that was not desirable to the eye or a rocky place and A I pleasing Gen 13:10 ” And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where,”

Hi Mark,

There is some debate about exactly where Bethel was. However, it was definitely in the central, mountainous region of the Holy Land, where there are many rocky outcroppings. It was located on a key road north from Jerusalem. The proposed sites do have one or more springs that could supply a town with water. Bethel is presented in the Bible as a key, centrally located city from which Joshua’s conquest of the Holy Land could press north and south. It may well have been located in a bottleneck that people traveling through the center of the land were obliged to pass through when going south to north or north to south.

The plain of Jordan would, of course, be well-watered, as river valleys almost always are. Other rivers and streams flow through the valley on their way to the Jordan. The land itself is also more level. So it would have looked quite inviting to Lot for his livestock as compared to the steeper, rockier highlands.

7. Janice says:

:Your research and comments helped me find answers to significant questions that came to me as I was reading my Bible. Thank you for all of your hard work and may God bless you!

8. DELE ADELEKE says:

Nice,insightful and inspiring

9. Belay Guta says:

Simply excellent! Your article, Marks comments from John and your responses have given me much more insight than I would have ever thought.

10. DANIEL says:

Very helpful.should we still hold the idea of bethel as a place of christian hope today?

Hi Daniel,

Thank you. Bethel is a place of new beginnings. In that sense, it still has a role in Christian hope and life today. We all have to start somewhere, and Bethel is a good place to start. However, when we’ve traveled farther along in our journey with God, we can leave Bethel behind, and move on to greater things.

11. Samson Samuel says:

I’m so blessed with your write up. It has given me more understanding on what God has laid in my heart.

12. Lanre David says:

Very helpful, God bless you

13. Precious Benjamin says:

Hi Lee, thanks for the eye opener explainations about bethel, God bless u. Please i will want u to explain this part for me. “And just as in the course of the Bible story Bethel faded away as a point of connection with God and heaven, so the type of connection with God represented by Bethel must fade away for us as we become more spiritually mature”. Thanks.

Hi Precious Benjamin,

Thanks for stopping by.

As explained in the article, spiritually Bethel represents a state of mind in which we agree to believe in God and follow God, but only if we see benefit in it for ourselves. For example, we may say to God, “I’ll follow you, but only if you give me the house, or car, or healing, or mate, that I’m looking for.”

As we become more spiritually mature, we must leave behind that way of thinking, and travel toward believing in God not for how it benefits us, but because we want to live a good, loving, and thoughtful life of service to God and to our fellow human beings.

Does that help?

14. Nhat Tran says:

Hi Lee,
    WOW this was a pleasure to read, I can’t help but wonder WHY was there a stairway from earth to heaven? and in Gen 28:15 God said “…I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” it seems like God is saying one day he will make a bridge between earth and heaven, like a stairway so we can go to heaven. so what I’m trying to ask is could this be an allegorical story of redemption? Jesus Christ’s death will be our stairway to heaven?

Hi Nhat Tran,

Thanks for your comment. Glad you enjoyed the article!

For Jacob, the dream of a stairway to heaven was an experience of the presence of God and the angels, and a promise, right at the time that he was being exiled from his home, that he would one day return.

For us, it is a spiritual assurance that God and the angels are present with us here and now, even at our darkest times, and that we will one day return to live in the spiritual land that is our true home. In the Bible, the Land of Canaan or the Holy Land symbolizes spiritual life, as compared to the surrounding lands, which symbolize a more materialistic focus in life.

There will not be a literal stairway to heaven that we can climb from earth to heaven. Instead, there is a spiritual stairway that shows us the way to leave behind a merely materialistic life and become spiritual in our goals and focus in life.

And yes, I believe that Jesus Christ becomes that stairway for us, not just by his death, but by his life and his presence with us–as suggested in John 1:51:

And he said to him, “Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.”

15. Colleen says:

Thank you , for the in sight .

16. Georgia Estes says:

Jesus…the stairway to heaven.

17. Isaac says:

Lee, thanks for offering your research and spirit-led wisdom here. I have a related question for you: when you said at some point it is necessary to leave your Bethel behind, do you think that means physically as well (not just spiritually)? I have a physical place that I’ve always regarded as my Bethel — which I’ve deemed to be a good thing (a place of encountering God and experiencing deep intimacy with Him). But your article implies that your Bethel is a place to eventually leave behind. Can you leave behind your Bethel spiritually (growing and maturing) but stay there physically? Can you explain more?

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for stopping by. Good question!

My main point in the article on leaving Bethel behind was about our spiritual life. We may start out bargaining with God the way Jacob did in Bethel. But as we grow in the Lord, we have to leave behind that attitude of “what do I get out of it,” and instead follow the Lord simply because it’s the right thing to do, and in time because it’s what we love to do.

Where we are physically here on earth may or may not have a connection with our inner, spiritual life. Some people live in the some physical place all their lives, and continue to grow in their spiritual life and their walk with God. Others get stuck in a physical place, and need to move away from it in order to break their old habits and associations.

About the physical place that you think of as your Bethel, it all depends on whether you can continue to grow spiritually while encountering God at that place. If so, then the place itself will be transformed from Bethel to Shiloh to Jerusalem for you, just as the tabernacle of God moved from one town to another until Jerusalem was established as the place of worship and of meeting God for the Israelites.

However, if you find at some point in your life that your physical Bethel is holding you back in your spiritual journey and your walk with the Lord, then you may need to leave it behind and find a new place where you can especially feel the presence of God.

• Isaac says:

Grateful for your response and your continued study of the scriptures. Thanks Lee!

• Isaac says:

Lee, I have another related question for you. When you stated in this response that our Bethel can be “transformed…to Shiloh to Jerusalem,” would you mind explaining more what that means for us spiritually? I’m incredibly interested in knowing how to move from Bethel to Shiloh in my spiritual journey and any scriptures/research/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Isaac,

That is a very good question, which deserves a full post of its own! However, I’ll give you a shorter (sort of!) version here.

Each of these places–Bethel, Shiloh, and Jerusalem–was a site for the Tabernacle, one following the other, after the Israelites entered the Holy Land to conquer it. The final place for the Tabernacle (actually, a replacement Tabernacle built by David) was in Jerusalem–where the Temple was later built by his son Solomon. (The Tabernacle may also have been set up in a few other places in the Holy Land.)

This means that each of these places represent the focus of our spiritual life and worship as we go through our journey of spiritual rebirth, or regeneration.

As stated in the article itself, Bethel represents an early stage in our Christian life in which we bargain with God, seeking to get a good deal for ourselves in return for our faith in God and our obedience to God’s commandments. Bethel also represents a time of spiritual battles and struggles, since the Tabernacle was in Bethel during the time of the initial conquest of the Holy Land. So in our spiritual life it represents a time of major battles and struggles to leave behind our old, selfish and worldly ways of life and focus our lives on God and spirit instead.

Shiloh was the location of the Tabernacle after the initial conquest of the Holy Land, during the time of Samuel. There were still some conflicts during this time, but for the most part the Israelites lived a more peaceful and settled life during the time the Tabernacle was in Shiloh. This is reflected in the meaning of “Shiloh” in Hebrew, which is “tranquility, rest.” So having the Tabernacle in Shiloh represents a time in our spiritual journey, or rebirth, when we have overcome many of the major bad habits (sins) and obstacles that had blocked us from living a Christian and spiritual life, and have settled into that life. We still have our struggles, but we are now solidly settled into a Christian life.

And yet, the time period during which the Tabernacle was in Shiloh was also a rather disorganized and decentralized period in the history of the Israelites. There was no central authority, and no cohesiveness as a nation. The twelve tribes lived in their own areas, administered their own affairs, and generally faced the various local enemies on their own. So this time in our spiritual development also represents a time when, although we have become active Christians, we are not very organized about it. We just sort of face issues and conflicts whenever and wherever they crop up, in a reactionary manner. We don’t have any clear focus and direction to our life.

Jerusalem, where the Tabernacle was later established by David, and where Solomon built the Temple, represents the next stage in our spiritual journey of rebirth. The name “Jerusalem” also incorporates the sense of peace conveyed by the name “Shiloh.” So this is also a settled state of Christian life. And yet, Jerusalem, as the capital established by King David, represents a much more focused form of Christian life. Under Saul, the first king of Israel, and especially under David, who finished the job of conquering the Holy Land, the Israelites were unified under a single leader, with a clear and unified goal.

Having the Tabernacle, and later the Temple, in Jerusalem, then, represents a stage in our spiritual journey in which we have set clear spiritual goals for ourselves, and are pursuing those goals in a proactive, not reactionary, way. Our life has purpose and direction. We are here to accomplish God’s purpose for our life, which we see clearly laid out ahead of us.

We may or may not see farther down the road that God is leading us on. But we know what task God has given us now, and we are intent on accomplishing that task. To put it in distinctly Christian terms, we have a clear and comprehensive idea of the teachings of Jesus as they apply to our lives (this is the meaning of Jerusalem spiritually), and we have focused our lives on learning and living by those teachings in a very specific way.

I hope these brief thumbnails help you on your own spiritual journey!

• Levi says:

You’ve been generous with your response once again, Lee. Thank you so much for offering your wisdom and research. I look forward to digging deeper into what you’ve shared!

18. steve says:

Nice thoughts on Bethel!

19. oluwafemi michael says:

nice teaching, more grace.

20. fran says:

Thank you Lee for your narrative regarding the city of Bethel. That is so alarming to know this location is no longer significant.

Hi fran,

Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment. Perhaps Bethel’s physical location is no longer significant. But its meaning for our spiritual life does have continuing significance as long as we are in a “Bethel” state.

21. davi guimaraes says:

not sure if you’ll see this, but what do you about churches named bethel? either way, very insightful read! thanks

Hi davi,

Thank you.

I think that Bethel is a fine name for a church. We’ve all got to start somewhere spiritually. If a church helps us to get started on our Christian and spiritual journey, it’s doing its job, isn’t it?

22. EDWIN LAWRENCE says:

PRAISE THE LORD

Dear Brother In JESUS CHRIST.

Truly i am much motivated, by Loving JESUS CHRIST Grace past few days we are trying to buy home, my Pastor came to visit the home we planing to buy. Pastor saw the house as he was praying word came to him this house will be called EL-BETHEL. So find the website i thank God for your gentleness and loving nature quality replying all question with blessed inputs and encouraging.

One thing i liked most as you explain (“Shiloh” in Hebrew, which is “tranquillity, rest.” So having the Tabernacle in Shiloh represents a time in our spiritual journey).

If i am not wrong in Tabernacle was Ten Commandments, “Shiloh means Rest” when we have in our heart and life God Commandments it should rest not be shaking and jumping and moving and let go and let in.

i pray and you also pray each and every God Commandments will rest in me and my family and everyone life peacefully. So that we all live to will of Loving JESUS CHRIST.

Amen.

Loving Bro. Edwin Lawrence.
    INDIA

23. shy says:

I absolutely love this! Very clear and thought provoking. You stirred my spirit as I was praying for direction in a certain area and the Holy Spirit kept dropping “Bethel” in my spirit so I decided to look it up and came across this. I am truly blessed, encouraged and motivated by your teaching Brother Lee, please let me know where I can sign up to learn more from you! Thanks again, God’s richest blessings on you!

Hi shy,

Thank you! I’m glad this article was helpful to you. You can get email notices of new posts by entering your email in the box under “Follow by Email” in the right navbar of every page. Feel free to search around here for other articles you might enjoy!

24. Joseph Steel says:

Hi Lee…

Interesting article that I came across while researching the connection between Bethel and the dwelling place of God in man.

I was a bit concerned about your thought that Bethel… Which would translate into the divine reality of Bethel… Being left to fade away.

From what I’ve come to see is that scripture reveals God as a God of increase, and as such, having our starting point with God at Bethel, as God increases in us, this reality becomes enlarged to where it includes Jerusalem.

From my studies, I’ve come to see the meaning of Jerusalem being as somewhat along the lines of wholeness, completeness (or unbrokenness), which is a kind of full/righteous wage of sort, that is associated with God.

Which is how peace is achieved.

But Jerusalem is a very complex word, even encompassing a meaning that suggest the flight, or way that a projectile takes on it’s way to hitting the intended mark.

I’m bringing this up because the reality of the above is pretty much where God brings us after our Bethel experience. And it becomes the reality that we will dwell in eternally.

This, for me, is the enlarged Bethel experience, and all that comes after this Bethel experience, comes out of our Bethel experience.

Surely, as we see in scripture, our Bethel experience can become corrupted — one just need look around us at the horror Christianity is to see this corruption. And Paul even spoke to it when he said that all of Asia had turned away from him (his ministry). Which is partially responsible for how we’ve ended up with the folly that is Christianity.

Paul even speaks to this matter of error that can come out of our forgetting how we began…

Galatians 3:3… “Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?”

Most certainly God will allow — even cause — our Bethel experience to fade, should we pursue corruption after having it. But Bethel faded in the old testament… Under the old covenant.

We have something better.

Even if for a time it seems that we reject the reality of our Bethel experience… The Reality of our Bethel experience will never leave us nor forsake us. Because, given our Bethel experience, we are His.

How then can it be proper to say, or even suggest that our Bethel experience fades away.

No my brother, it doesn’t, it becomes enlarged to fill the whole earth.

The higher up you climb on Mount Zion, the more you see. But the first step you took up this divine mountain will always be an integral part of your journey.

Because that first step was only possible in God. And God is eternal, having no beginning and no end.

The reality of Bethel is God with man, and man with God. And that reality is God’s eternal desired, worked out in Himself.

Amen my brother.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for stopping by, and for your thoughtful comment.

About Bethel fading, the meaning of this is that our early, relatively self-absorbed and deal-making relationship with God must fade away if we are to reach our full spiritual potential—which in the Old Testament is represented by Jerusalem, as you say, and which in the New Testament is represented by the New Jerusalem.

When that early Bethel-like relationship with God fades, we don’t lose anything. Rather, we build on that earlier stage of our spiritual journey to achieve a higher and better state, represented by the well-developed and very complex city of Jerusalem, and even more by the New Jerusalem, which encompasses the whole “earth” of our lives.

Speaking for myself, while I’m thankful for the many experiences I had when I was younger (and wish I could have avoided some of them!) I have no desire to go back to any earlier stage of my life. Rather, I look forward to continuing my journey forward and, I hope, upward to a higher level of love, understanding, and relationship with God and with my fellow human beings.

25. tbronz says:

Very insightful article.All the other comments also added greatly to deepen my view of the importance of what Beth-El was at that time. I also believe that Elizah was taken up by the chariots and horseman of heaven at Beth-El. In the book of Kings it says he was told to go there and Elisha followed him there to Beth-El, who also received double portion of Elijahs spirit in that very same place. Beth-El…Amazing

Hi tbronz,

Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment. Glad the article was helpful.

About Elijah, though he passed through Bethel on his way to the place where he was taken up to heaven, that did not happen in Bethel, but on the other side of the Jordan, across from Jericho. You can read the story in 2 Kings 2:1-18.

26. J.B.Masih says:

Thanks Lee for watering the thirst sheep of God specially from countries where Bible study is a dream for the people like me.J,B.

27. Dana Wells says:

You avoided answering the question a year ago, about King Jeroboam and Bethel.

Bethel represents disobedience. Instead of traveling to Jerusalem as instructed, the king erected shrines in Bethel and Dan

The symbolism notion of this representing a person’s spiritual journey I find ridiculous.

1 Kings 12:25-33

25 Then Jeroboam built Shechem in mount Ephraim, and dwelt therein; and went out from thence, and built Penuel.

26 And Jeroboam said in his heart, Now shall the kingdom return to the house of David:

27 If this people go up to do sacrifice in the house of the Lord at Jerusalem, then shall the heart of this people turn again unto their lord, even unto Rehoboam king of Judah, and they shall kill me, and go again to Rehoboam king of Judah.

28 Whereupon the king took counsel, and made two calves of gold, and said unto them, It is too much for you to go up to Jerusalem: behold thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

29 And he set the one in Bethel, and the other put he in Dan.

30 And this thing became a sin: for the people went to worship before the one, even unto Dan.

31 And he made an house of high places, and made priests of the lowest of the people, which were not of the sons of Levi.

32 And Jeroboam ordained a feast in the eighth month, on the fifteenth day of the month, like unto the feast that is in Judah, and he offered upon the altar. So did he in Bethel, sacrificing unto the calves that he had made: and he placed in Bethel the priests of the high places which he had made.

33 So he offered upon the altar which he had made in Bethel the fifteenth day of the eighth month, even in the month which he had devised of his own heart; and ordained a feast unto the children of Israel: and he offered upon the altar, and burnt incense.

What happened in the next chapter hmmm?

God sent a “man of God” to prophesy against the king for his disobedience.

We can call Bethel “House of God” all we want, but when we’re the ones running the show and calling the shots, instead of being obedient, God does not bless it and in fact will tear it down.

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your comment. “Avoided” is a strong word. There are a lot of comments here. Apparently I let that one slip past without replying to it.

However, the general issue of the corruption of Bethel due to idol worship practiced there starting under Jereboam *is* dealt with in the article, even if Jereboam is not specifically mentioned.

28. Jing elemia says:

Good morning,, im just asking, is the stone(jacob’s pillow) is still in bethel? Or is there any sign or tourist sign on that holy place that we can see till now. Is that bethel is the bethlehem now? Thank you so much.

Hi Jing elemia,

Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment and question. It is very unlikely that a stone that Jacob set up as a pillar nearly four thousand years ago is still known to us today. However, there are many traditions about various places in the Holy Land, so it wouldn’t surprise me if there is a tourist attraction related to the site of Jacob’s dream. Oh, and Bethel is not the same city as Bethlehem.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Join 705 other followers